Google Doesn't Comment About Ad Fraud During Google Marketing Live 2018 Keynote
- They’re pushing machine learning to get businesses to deal directly with Google vs using middlemen like agencies
- Google Adwords is now Google Ads
- “X near me” searches have increased 10x
- Youtube Form Ads coming soon
- cross-device reports and remarketing in Google Analytics (more comprehensive view on how visitors access your site across devices.
- Smart Campaigns; Basically Google’s attempt to eat into agency profits by expanding on Google Adwords Express. Smart Campaigns is basically Google Adwords Express with expanded features like website/landing page builder.
- Mobile has enabled shoppers to become more research obsessed
- In any 48 hour period, over 80% of Americans are shopping for something
- Automatically build product feed now for Google Shopping Ads using Automated Feeds
- New type of shopping campaign called Smart Shopping Campaigns; runs shopping ads across Google’s Major Properties and includes display remarketing
- Integration w/ Shopify and Google Shopping Ads
- 3 in 4 people who conduct a local search on their smartphone visit a related business within 24 hours; by optimizing for online revenue alone, you might miss out on these other opportunities, like finding new customers that start online and then go into the store.
- 2 new goals coming; driving store visits and new customer acquistion
- Introducing new dedicated campaign type; Local Campaigns for driving store visits.
- Dedicated campaign type for Hotels; Hotel Campaigns
- For better collaboration they announced Google Marketing Platform; It unifies their advertising and analytic platforms into a single solution.
- Analytics 360 suite (includes Optimize, Surveys, Data Visualization) is now apart of the Google Marketing Platform.
- SearchAds 360 replaces DoubleClick Search; helps you plan, buy and measure search ads on Google and other SE’s.
- Display and Video 360 brings together features from DoubleClick Bid Manager, Campaign Manager, Studio and Audience Center.
- Display and Video 360 allows you to manage your display, your video, your TV, audio and other advertising channels in one place.
- Google Marketing Platform has new Integration Center for connecting Google Tools and 3rd party tools
- Google Marketing Platform will start rolling out in the next few weeks.
- Introducing Google Measurement Partners
- 60% of clicks for Google Retail Advertisers come from Google Shopping Ad Format
They don’t happen to comment on the growing issue of ad fraud, which is why I still don’t recommend Display Ads for those with a limited budget:
“Adobe inspected traffic across thousands of its client sites and found that 28% of the traffic showed “non-human signals” indicating that it was fraudulent. Bob Hoffman of The Ad Contrarian calculated, based on this fact, that ad fraud may reach $66 billion in 2018, which is 10 times more than the $6.5 billion predicted for 2017 by the ANA.“
Google supposedly reimburses any clicks it considers to be click fraud but how can we be sure how accurate they are?
I realize Google Search Ads aren’t perfect either but click fraud has generally been more of a problem with banner ads showing on display networks than it has on the Google search engine. Also, I’ve personally seen the results of a successful Google Search Ad campaign, so I know the traffic is mostly real.